[pct-l] grrrr

--
The world is full of laws, regulations, and rules.
Like them; don't like them' obey them; don't obey them;
It's your call.
You take the consequences, if any.

Personally, I prefer the weight of the canister to the loss of $100 - $5000=
 for not carrying it.  I don't like having to get permits to use MY public =
lands, but I do it. Yes, the Law Enforcement Rangers at Tuolomne Meadows as=
ked to see both last summer. Exit two possible sudden unpleasant ends to my=
 hike. I'd rather worry about the things I have some modicum of control ove=
r during a long distance hike!

SOLUTION ? Use the Bear Can as a Pack:
For the ultra-ultralight group, I met a man in Yosemite last summer whose t=
otal pack load over Forrester Pass (with ice axe, food, and water) was 14 l=
bs. He had a Garcia Can (the black plastic odd-shaped thing) slung over his=
 shoulder on a rope knotted inside each ends of the canister. That carried =
his food and a few essentials. Around his waist was a poncho rolled like a =
doughnut and containing his quilt and a few more essentials. He had a 1-1/2=
 liter soda bottle of water on a cord over the other shoulder. That was it.=
 The whole rig weighed 6 pounds when I met him atop Benson Pass; he had sta=
rted at Campo, target Canada. Oh that I were so confident of my backcountry=
 skills!

Wandering Bob