[pct-l] " Big Jim" Whitaker

--
 Jim was the first Paid employee of REI. Back when it was located above some
porn shop in Seattle. ( This was before my time!!) When the Amercan Everest
Ex. was on, they got their gear from REI and Jim was the one who got all the
gear off the shelves to bring. He was also one of the few climbers that
thought they had a chance!! He was a silent leader, though not in charge in
1963. Jim and his brother have guided many folks to the top of Rainier and
have been helpful to many of todays top climbers. ( I have a picture of him
on the crater rim drinking a can of Rainier on Rainier from 1981!! He is a
quiet Giant. His brother Lou would give Tom Reynolds a run for his money with
loudest voice though!!
      I am not a big fan of the guide service on Rainier these days, but back
when Jim and Lou were on the mountain, things were different.
     I will be at the meeting in Seattle with my camera and paper and pen in
my hand waiting for a chance for an autograph!! Jim is an American Hero and
living legend!!!! Monte