[pct-l] trail names

Gary - I had the same dilemma when I was planning my 2001 PCT hike.  Should
I let a new trail name happen, or should I stick with "yogi", the name I got
on the AT in '99.  The deciding factor was this:  I was planning the hike
with Tree and Paranoid, both fellow '99 AT'ers.  I couldn't call Tree by his
given name of Brendan, and I couldn't call Paranoid by her given name of
Lizzie, and they couldn't call me Jackie.  So, the three of us agreed to
stick with our AT trail names.

Later, I thought about our decision.  In my opinion, my trail name
represents who I am in the trail world.  That world could be a night in a
shelter on Grayson Highlands, in the White Mountains, in the High Sierra,
when I talk to a trail buddy on the phone, or at a friend's house in
Kentucky a year after the trail.  It's who I am in the hiking world.  And
that world doesn't have to happen ON A TRAIL.

yogi