[pct-l] Dowse the Flames. Hike and Share your stories.

In a message dated 1/10/03 12:44:14 PM, jmertes@verizon.net writes:

<< Just a historical note.  Back about 1960 when JFK was around, he was
famous for
his 50 mile day hikes. I never tried it.

John >>

Glad you brought that up. I was one of tens of thousands of puny 14-16 year
olds who attempted to hike 50 miles in one day in 1961 or 2 to get a
medallion from the President's office.  It was part of a physical fitness
program  for youth. We planned to walk from Denver to Boulder and back again.
I got to 37 miles when we sat down to take a break. My legs froze up. I could
no longer walk. A farmer called my parents and they literally had to pick me
up and place me in the car. My buddy made it though as did hordes of others.
To this day, I like to take my breaks standing up, just in case.