From: pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Kelly Miller
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 3:49 PM
To: Pct-L
Subject: [pct-l] Russell Creek

--
There was some mention recently about Russell Creek on the Oregon  PCT, one
of a couple streams that require a bit of caution while crossing. I was
there last inlate August of 2001, which was a relatively dry year.  The
guidebook suggests crossing the creek early in the morning to avoid
afternoon runoff.  The problem I saw was not in the width of the creek or
even the depth as much as the rate of flow.  It's easy to visalize a pack
cascading down the canyon.