[pct-l] Northeast trekking versus west trekking: An observation

--
I am a relative newbie to this list, but not a newbie to mountaineering. I
have been doing all iterations of the sport-adventure for 40 years. My

The discussion regarding footwear implies some very dangerous practices.
Wearing lightweight running. Xtraining sneaks to do any form of hiking is
irresponsible. This list goes to to folks of all ages, experience and
condition. Care of your feet is a trekkers number one priority. You must ge=
the right boot for the job. It must deal with the vagaries of supination,
pronation, foot volume, ankle strength and what the most demanding
conditions one may encounter unexpectedly on the trail. I bold
=8Cunexpectedly=B9 because the future is always invisible to us, only past
experience portends to guide us, and it is often a poor one. But it is the
best we have to guide us ahead. So, get the freekin=B9 best boots you can f=
or
what you want to do. As I read descriptions of the PCT, I would chose
something the Tecnica=B9s Dunagiri GTX or Scarpa=B9s SL M3=B9s. I would get=
 OR=B9s
Croc Gaiters. You won=B9t have to worry about wet feet, blisters, snow, ice=
,
post-holing (anyone who post holes today is a masochist, in my opinion) so
get some Atlas lightweight snowshoes and instep crampons. Forget the
Yaktrax. They stink. I field test equipment and they are not for trekking.
The key is be safe and live to trek another day. Cheaping out on equipment
is a drag when when you are futzed up 20 miles from nowhere because you
saved a couple of bucks.

Safety. Carry a damn good kit. Well thought out: something for splinting,
sprains, inflammation, pain (get good pain meds from your doc, they will
prescribe something which will able you to get someplace for help despite
the the pain), antiseptic, wound care, steristrips, liquid bandage, blister
gunk, gauze, benadryl, something for burns. Whatever you have have on your
back is your life and will save your life or save someone else's. Always
carry 50=B9 of a good nylon rope, and, of course, some duct tape.

Get a damn good pack to carry all this gear. Get a sleeping bag w/polarguar=
delta or 3d, forget hv and down. Get a tough 3 season tent or a solid 4
season one. Always wear long pants, no matter how hot it is. Always wear a
long sleeve shirt. Pick out 2 pair of both, one for heat and one for cool.
Bring poly for layering. Never wear cotton. Have a brimmed hat (supplex,
golite, etc.) and a cool, cold weather hat. Always use poles, and wear
biking gloves all the time. Make sure you have a good water filter and and =
camelback, 100oz.

An ice ax3e is handy, but get a freekin=B9 light one. Learn how to use all
this stuff b4 you go out. You don=B9t need a gps, but have the best maps
available and learn how to use your compass. Scissors, a small knife...a la
leatherman microtool will handle everything.

And last, get into the best shape you can. Wear a 55 lb pack wherever you g=
for up to six months b4 attempting a long thru hike. Run stairs. Being toug=
physically will toughen you up mentally which will toughen you up physicall=
(or something like that). Blow of all that ultralight crap. It will kill
people. Unless you do 3-4 ironman triathalons a year. Then wear pasties and
a g string.

It seems to me that a lot of folks on the west coast yak like you are 24 an=
are in the best shape of your lives, and the PCT is sooooo easy you can flo=
around in sandals. It sounds like the bravado and =8CI=B9ll live 4ever=B9 m=
indset
I hade a long time ago until a few very experienced friends died playing
around and beyond the coagulated edge.  Don=B9t fuel yourselves. Marco the
Mad/xxx