[pct-l] fuel canister resupply

On Thursday, January 2, 2003, at 03:37  PM, eNdanGeRed SpiRiT wrote:
>  is it legal and/or safe to mail fuel canisters? if not, how do those
> of
> you who use canisters get by (i'm assuming that they are not available
> in
> most trailtowns).

I went to the local post office last winter before my hike
and sat with the postmaster for almost an hour as he worked his way
through the various tables and regulations. If you want the gory
details,
read USPS publication 52 specifically Appendix C, Section 2A (which
I've included below in its entirety).
	Adobe PDF: http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf
	Text: http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.htm

The basic idea is that *some* items that would normally be classified
as hazardous materials can be reclassified as a consumer-commodity
if it is being shipped in the appropriate container, packed in the
appropriate
way, labeled correctly, and not sent via air.  The following
information is
when shipping via USPS.  I believe UPS and Fed-Ex have similar rules,
but you should check with them specifically.

You must pack the canister well (bubble wrap etc.) and label the box:

			surface-mail only
			consumer-commodity
					ORM-D

It can only be sent via surface delivery (no airplanes).  Make sure you
consider the extra delay when you ship fuel in this way.  I only
researched
self-sealing fuel canisters.  I doubt that white-gas can be shipped in
this
way.

Radar
AT-2002: www.trailjournals.com/gwright
PCT-2004: ?

USPS Packaging Instruction 2A: Flammable Gases
A Class 2 flammable gas that qualifies as an ORM-D material is mailable
provided all applicable requirements in 342 are met and it is properly
packaged as follows.
Proper Shipping Name
	* Consumer Commodity
ID Number
	* Various (see Appendix A)
Mailability
	* International Mail: Prohibited.
	* Domestic Mail: Permitted only via surface transportation (i.e.,
Standard Mail rates).
Required Packaging: Primary Receptacle
	* The capacity of an other-than-metal (i.e., nonmetal) primary
receptacle must be 4 fluid ounces (7.22 cubic inches) or less per
mailpiece.
	* The capacity of a metal primary receptacle must be 33.8 fluid ounces
(1 liter or 61.0 cubic inches) or less per mailpiece.
	* The liquid content of the material and the gas must not completely
fill the primary receptacle at 130 degrees F.
	* A DOT 2P container must be used if the internal pressure is from 140
psig to 160 psig at 130 degrees F (55 degrees C). A DOT 2Q container
must be used if the pressure is from 161 psig to 180 psig at 130
degrees F (55 degrees C).
	* A container with an internal pressure more than 180 psig at 130
degrees F (55 degrees C) is prohibited from mailing.
	* Primary receptacles must have recessed valves, screw-thread caps,
tap closures, or other means to prevent accidental discharge. Valves
and fittings must be protected to ensure the integrity of the
receptacle during transport.
Required Packaging: Cushioning Material
	* Sufficient cushioning material must surround the primary receptacle
to absorb shock and prevent damage.
Required Packaging: Outer Packaging
	* A strong outer packaging that is capable of firmly and securely
holding the primary receptacle and cushioning material is required.
	* Multiple primary receptacles may be securely packed within a single
strong outer packaging, provided the total volume of flammable gas does
not exceed 33.8 fluid ounces (1 liter) per mailpiece.
Marking
	* The address side of the outer packaging must be clearly marked with
Surface Mail Only" and "Consumer Commodity ORM-D."
	* A complete return address and delivery address must be used.