[pct-l] Re: Snowpack in Wa.--Southbound

--

Another key is that even if there is a low snow year, a southbounder will s=
till contend with snowpack at least through Stevens Pass except at the lowe=
r elevations and then again in the Goat Rocks Wilderness.  Route finding an=
d ice ax/self-arrest technique is essential.  Be physically and mentally pr=
epared to do 25 mile days, even if you don't do that mileage on trail due t=
o snow, getting lost, and the fatigue of beginning a thru-hike in one of th=
e most rugged stretches of trail in the country.  Train, train, train.
In 2001, route finding wasn't as much of a challenge as I anticipated.  Man=
y times the trail, filled with snow and ice, cut a straight white line acro=
ss the mountainsides which were essentially spotty snow, bare rock and flor=
a.  The trail was snowbound but relatively easy to follow.  If there was mu=
ch more snowpack (even 10-15% more), this bonus would have been eliminated.
Bottomline: if you choose to hike southbound, you raise the odds of somethi=
ng happening.  You will not have the benefit of 698 miles to Kennedy Meadow=
s (a trail section which is no joke either) to have your legs ready and you=
r trail savvy well-oiled.  It's dangerous.  And I can't wait to do it again=
.
Ben Armstrong

 Tom Griffin <griffin@u.washington.edu> wrote:on 12/30/02 10:00 AM, CMounta=