[pct-l] re: Mountain bikes on the PCT

I saw mountain bikes on the PCT some days than I did
hikers (no lie). This type of incident  particularly
occurred in the stretch of trail near Sierra City.
(Nearby Downieville is apparently a mountain biking
mecca).

The incident I remember in particular is one sunny
day, looking at my map, chomping on a Snickers (of
course) when I see a flash of spandex and titanium
coming down the trail. Almost got ran over and the mtn
biker acted like it was my fault.

As with most things in life, I tried taking the polite
route and pointed out that perhaps nearby trails or
jeep roads may be better than the PCT. The bikers
would shrug and bike on past. As this incident
happened more and more, my tolerance and politeness
factor went down.

I think as the years go on, there will be more mtn
bikers on the PCT. The PCT is trail that generally has
a treadway perfect for mountain biking. Too good for
some people to pass up.

I do not think most mtn bikers were out there to make
a statement of any sort. They saw a trail that looked
nice to cruise on. Trying to explain it was for hikers
and equestrians only fell on deaf ears.  Frustrating
when trying to eat a Snickers and trying  not get run
over by some guy in dayglo green.

Mags

=====