[pct-l] RE: Bikes on the PCT

	As both a mt bike rider and as a Sec E Area Coordinator who
periodically inventories trail from Sec E3 to E9, I'd offer these
points:
-  Being in LA County, stretches of Section E get bike traffic, some
getting more bike traffic than combined foot-horse traffic, I'd
guess, based on the tracks I see.  I observe that biked stretches are
more worn than un-biked stretches.  The PCT wasn't designed for
biking.  It incorporates switchbacks to maintain grades on steep
hills, in sandy decomposed granite.  Bikeriding results only in more
wear from rutting, and it doesn't take many riders to rut out the
switchbacks.
-  Only a SMALL SUBGROUP of bikeriders who don't know or who don't
care ride on the PCT.  Opening stretches of the trail for any and all
bikeriders would make *far more work* than currently.
- Bikes won't fly with the PCTA, whose members coordinate and perform
trailwork.  Why should PCTA want to invite bike riders to use The
Trail?
-  I haven't heard of NORBA lobbying for bike use on the PCT either,
or for helping maintain the trail for that matter.  If insistent
riders don't have activist friends working thise issue, they'll have
to continue riding illegally

IMHO the best singletrack trail rides are on bikes-only trails
anyway, where one needn't share the trail with other users
(particularly horses).  I think most of the PCT would suck for riding
anyway.

HOWEVER: those bikeriders lucky enough to meet a PCT trail crew
toiling hard can expect to be enthusiastically greeted,  then
generously offered the character-building opportunity to contribute
to the day's work.  And, fortunately for them, they have arrived
wearing gloves.

Kevin Corcoran