[pct-l] Re: Shooting Problem Bears

on 11/20/02 10:00 AM, "Bob Bankhead" at wandering_bob@msn.com wrote:

> From: "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob@msn.com>
> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:15:08 -0800
> Subject: [pct-l] Shooting Problem Bears
>
> Let's get real!
>
> It's political suicide for the NPS to even think about reducing the ursine =
> population to a level that could be supported by the natural resources with=
> in the park, which is what nature put there before the NPS stuck their oar =
> in the waters.

But isn't this exactly what the NPS did in Yellowstone, which used to have a
very serious bear problem like Yosemite? As I recall, the park service even
shot "garbage bears" who came back after being transported to the
wilderness. Why can't the Yellowstone solution work at Yosemite--too many
stupid tourists?

Tom Griffin
PCT section hiker
http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/pct.html