[pct-l] Re: Garbled Message

At 09:01 PM 11/6/02, campy wrote:
>Please excuse this personal email requesting information about Msg 24 of
>PCT-L digest, Vol 1 #674 - 24 msgs. Its text is not clear! And I'm just
>curious.
>
>I believe I missed the gist of the explanation you might have given for
>this phenomenon a few weeks ago. I presume it isn't due to my Mac computer
>or the Netscape email program I use. Someone perhaps mentioned that it was
>an artifact or a product of a virus.

I am also replying to the list, because I have answered this privately
several times in the past few weeks.

When you see garbled lines of text in big blocks You are seeing at the
remains of viruses after they have been rendered harmless by the list filters.

For various technical reasons these messages cannot be stopped  from
getting to the list without disrupting legitimate traffic with certain
formatting, but at least they can't harm your computer. Just hit the delete
key a few more times....

For every one of these that makes it to the list, I get 20 in the list
admin filters. Add to that the spam, and I probably get 40 bogus posts to
the list each day, way more than the legit posts....

--
Brick Robbins

Those who understand binary and those who don't.