From: cheryl ibarra [mailto:ilovfiveks@knology.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 2:34 PM
To: PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] besr canisters in Yosemite

--
I didn't use one on my PCT thru-hike this year.  Yes, I was visited by a
pesky bruin about 5 miles south of Tuolomne Meadows.  I heard him
approaching my campsite and tried to chase him off by making the usual
noises.  He appeared annoyed and reluctantly lumbered off.  I later found
out he tried to raid another two camps further south.  Yes, I do sleep with
my food.  If I were hiking again next year, I would not carry a bear
canister, but I would honor my policy of not camping in established
campsites.  I think most of the other PCT hikers I know would do the same.

LL