[pct-l] IsoButane

> I was under the impression that windshields were a definitely
> no-no with the isobutane canisters.  The canisters get to hot and
> can explode.  I didn't use a wind shield at all on the AT this year
> with my Pocket Rocket.

I always use a windshield with my pocket rocket - made out of a disposable
aluminum baking pan - thanks for the idea, Monte - with duct-taped edges -
thanks to my wife for that idea!    But I only use my stove on simmer -
that's why I don't use an alcohol stove, right?, so I can simmer for long
times!

At full blast it could get very hot and a windshield might indeed be a bad
idea.    The instructions expressly forbid windshields, but as usual you
can't tell whether they were written by engineers or lawyers.
If in doubt, feel the top of the
canister and if it is getting hot instead of the
pot, remove the windshield.

> Are the conditions such on the PCT, that
> you need to be able to cook in exposed, windy areas?

Sometimes.    If you are simmering, you often need a windshield.