[pct-l] gps search technology

In a message dated 10/19/02 7:44:47 PM, jmertes@verizon.net writes:

<< Question: Why are we now using GPS to interfere with the natural selection
of
the species?  Or interfering with the way God gets rid of idiots?

Well, at least it's going to be cheaper to find them. Wonder if the cost
savings will be passed on to the customer?
 Speaking of which, does anyone out there want to form a rescue corporation?
We could then lobby the NFS, NPS, and BLM to contract out rescue missions to
us. We pay them a fee (tacked on to each rescue bill) and they help us out by
passing regulations requiring GPS tracking for all participating in rescue
risky sports such as mountaineering, off trail travel and solo hiking, to
name a few. Basically we would be an ambulance service with an exclusive
contract. Users would pay a fee to lease our GPS transponders, so we make
money whether or not rescues occur. We then charge actual rescue costs and
tack on a handsome profit. The "customer" benefits because a GPS rescue would
cost less than half of what a current NPS rescue costs. Since Health
Insurance companies often end up paying 80% of the rescue bill, a relatively
cheap rescue would sway them over to paying "retainers" to have us on standby
   We could also collect fees for tracking hikers in sensitive areas such as
anasazi ruins, fossil beds and wildlife habitat. Do I hear Invisible Fence?
What should we charge for leasing collars?
   So you see, interruption of the so-called Natural Selection process can be
profitable! Let's not pass up the potential presented by the dramatic
decreases in costs associated with the rescue of these hapless souls. The
beauty of it is that EVERYBODY wins: NPS/BLM/NFS now make money from rescues,
health insurance pays less, rescued naturally selected dude is happy (
potential future customer?) and we make a living!
  Gotta go draw up a business plan for the bank and check on helicopter
rental costs