[pct-l] the subjectiveness of a thru-hike

--
I also think that it depends on the context of the claim.  If you
hiked from Tuolumne to Whiteny and in conversation you refer to

In fact, if you skipped sections due to hitch-hiking or whatever, it
really only matters if you are claiming that you hold some sort of
record.

In my view, if you hiked the PCT from mexico to canada and skipped a
mile here or there because it was easier to get a ride into town or
back to the trail or because you fell behind schedule and needed to
make up time so that you could continue on your dream hike before
returning to work, then you did a thru-hike.  The point in
distingushing between a thru-hike and a section hike (especially for
the purpose of conveying your experience on this list) is because
they are different experiences and it puts the message in
perspective.  If you hiked the whole PCT, but hitched 1.6 miles, then
your experience is that of a thru-hiker and that is who will identify
with your experience.  I have never done that, so I would Identify
more with a section hiker's experience.

Of course, there will be people who disagree and will want to safe-
guard the "true" definition of a thu-hike, or something to that
effect.  But come on...  what does it really matter? claim whatever
you want unless it infringes on someone else's acheivement.

peace,
dude