[pct-l] knee finally gave out

Well after 37 years of backpacking and climbing I've finally tore the
medial anterior meniscus of my right knees. Actually it wasn't that
painful, I was able to walk out from Seven Gables in two days. I had
arthroscopic surgery several weeks ago, and, because my legs were in
great shape, I've made a speedy recovery. But, unfortunately, packing
season is over for me this year.

If knee problems have been addressed in the past I was guilty of not
paying any attention to the discussion. Now, of course, I'm
interested.

Has anyone else out there had arthroscopic knee surgery and has since
done the PCT or long portions of it? After surgery how long did it
take before you were able to hit the trail again? Do you use hiking
poles now?

I've always been one of those people who can't stand poles for several
reasons: I tend to hyperextend the knee when going downhill, they slow
my pace and they give me tennis elbow. Nevertheless, I may give them
another try if those with knee problems have substantially benefited
by using them.

I live for treks, trails and peaks and I'll be very depressed if I'm
limited in any way of pursuing my passion. I've come to accept the
stairmaster as a poor alternative at the moment and, although the gym
scenery can be pleasing at times, I'd take looking at trees over
staring at an aerobic classes any day (caveat being I'm already
married...happily :-).

Dave