[pct-l] Drinking Regime

At 07:38 PM 9/14/02, CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:
>We were told (and it was news to me) by Grand Canyon rangers that it was very
>important to eat if you drank a lot of water. They said people have died
>mistakingly thinking that downing copious amounts of water to keep hydrated
>was all that was necessary for hot hiking.

"Water Poisoning" , or having low electorlytes (same thing) is called
hyponatremia. And yes, it can kill you./

That is why they invented Gatoraide and Pedolite. It is basically water
with salt and sugar.

Here is what ultra runners (who are quite familiar with this) have to say
about it http://www.fred.net/ultrunr/hyponatremia.html

Here is some more stuff about it http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/salt.html

--
Brick Robbins                       mailto:brick@fastpack.com