[pct-l] Lightweight Backpacking--I'm a Believer

Campy, I am so glad that you are back on the trail, and I enjoyed your
inspiring message.  Also, Tom, I know the Goat Rocks area, and I think it i=
one of the most beautiful parts of the Washington PCT.  Thank you for your
description.  It brought back wonderful memories.

About lightweight backpacking, I am getting better and better at it.  About
a year and a half ago, I had back surgery for two herniated disks.  I am
lucky enough to have been able to heal well and still backpack.  But in
order to go out into the beauty, I absolutely HAVE to stay light.  Last
year, I made a tarp out of that new silicone nylon.  It worked well, except
that I felt it was cumbersome to set up, and also the bugs got to me.

This year, I found a tent on the internet, made by Wanderlust Gear, back
east.  I ordered one, and it took about two months to get, since they are
individually made to fill orders.  It is of the same silicone nylon
material, but it has a zippered door and mosquito netting that allows for
ventilation.  The fly is like a tarp that is sewn into the ridge of the
tent, and it can be staked out or rolled up, depending on the weather.  It
is only two pounds.  If I put my boots in a plastic bag and tuck them into
the foot of the tent, I have no trouble with condensation.  It does not
absorb water, so if rain or heavy dew are on the outside, I can just wipe u=
the water with a sponge and the tent is not that much heavier than when I
loaded it at home.  The tent is roomy and easy to put up, using hiking pole=
to hold up the center.  I absolutely love it.  I also made all my stuff
sacks out of the same material, and they feel weightless.

The thing is:  I am also older than you, Tom, but maybe a little younger
than you, Campy.  I come alive in the mountains and want to maintain my
hiking ability as long as I can.  I enjoy hearing new ideas from other
people that might help me go lighter.  I hope my little message will help
someone else who is looking for a lighter tent.

Lindy