[pct-l] Controlled Fires.

n a message dated 8/31/02 10:20:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Samualdavidsimon@earthlink.net writes:

Sam writes: What do you have against controlled fires?

The best-controlled fire is in a wood stove in your home. Wood is a fuel.
This is the way it was used since the beginning of time. Yes! Our controlling
Environmental extremist has stopped this by passing laws against burning wood
in our homes. They stopped people from picking up firewood in our forests.
Remember the endangered mouse were the extremist would have homeowners put in
jail if they cleared the underbrush from around there own home. Yes, yes more
control of our lives

Sam writes; sure it's not perfect, but it's much better than uncontrolled
fire suppression.

Uncontrolled fire suppression:  Sam were did you get this expression? The
policy of the environmentalist of letting the trees decay and go back to
mother earth is the problem. This build up caused the under story to raise
the temperature 1000 degrees in minutes. Don't try to do controlled burning
in these areas.

Sam writes; I don't suppose you spent much time in Yellowstone in 1990.
There they found out what the result of uncontrolled fire suppression really
results in.

 Sam your wrong again, I did spent time in Yellowstone. Before our modern day
environmentalist Indians, then our Calvary, and then the Civilian
Conservation Corp cleared the underbrush. When this was stopped by
environmentalist we now have the fires.
The modern day environmentalist are using Yellowstone as a model for all
lands subjected to fires. I have walked through most of the fires before and
after in CA and other areas. You cannot say all forest and all forest fires
are the same.  There are many factors .In some areas after a fire ferns will
grow so large they will stop any other tree or plant growth.

Here is what I prescribe. Instead of laying off fire fighters keep them on
full time and let them clean the underbrush and thin out our forests. Then
you can have prescribed burns. The damage to existing trees would be minimal.
This will stop the amount of carbons going into our atmosphere and decrease
global warming. We can't rely on our armed forces to do this with all the
world problems. Lets re-install fire roads even in wilderness. Oh, this may
turn many extremists inside out. I notice in some of our Wilderness, yes,
Wilderness they we are using large trucks to string sandbags for miles to
stop erosion. They are planting non-native plants and flowers to stop the
erosion in burned out area. Why are the environmentalists letting vehicles go
into Wilderness area now? You know in some wilderness environmentalists tried
to stop fire trucks from fighting fires. They tried to stop helicopters from
picking up water from lakes because of endangered fish.

The worst is not over wait for the rains then erosion then bulldozers.

Lonetrail