[pct-l] Goat Rocks in Sept--Is Ice Ax Necessary?

I'm going on a weeklong backpacking trip on the PCT in the Goat Rocks
Wilderness south of Mt. Rainier the first week of September. Looking closely
at the trail maps, it appears the trail does not actually cross the Packwood
Glacier. Still, I am somewhat concerned about hiking up there in my 805s.
Since many of you throughhikers have crossed that section at that time of
year, do think the trail will be snow free? Need I bother taking an ice ax?

Thanks for your input.

Tom Griffin
griffin@u.washington.edu
PCT Harts Pass to Canada in 1995: