[pct-l] Re: 33+ miles/day average

One other issue that raises flags for me is that it is clear that Hans was
solo hiking (ah, I get the name now "Hans Solo").  I believe the first rule
of backpacking is "never hike alone".  This fall and the one that Marge, "the
old gal" did in the San Jacintos and the guy that died from a fall going over
New Army Pass and the guy that died from a fall below Fuller Ridge on the
north side of San Jacinto . . . all could have survived or had a lot less
pain and suffering by not violating this simple rule.

Now, having said that, I am guilty as hell and have violated that rule also
as I'm certain many of you commonly do.  We know the wilderness, its
conditions, its risks, its tendency to change in a second, and we have spent
many, many days - weeks - months or years there honing our skills.  So now we
are damn well prepared and can go out there alone and handle ourselves
perfectly fine because we are . . .

 . . .  well . . .

 . . .

we become arrogant as hell!

And one day when we're out there all alone and enjoying the grand view . . .
a little slip, miss-step and

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH    SPLAT!!!!!!!!!

I think that maybe I'm going office crazy and really NEED to get out and stay
out!

Greg "Strider" Hummel

PS: No offense, no judgement of anyone nor any hiking strategy is intended in
this message.  If you choose to be offended by my posts then you have the
choice to not read them and simply hit delete.