[pct-l] Re: Embarrassing question

I have found bears to be much more aggressive in and around the parks than
out of them. I have done a good amount of stealth camping while on the AT,
Long and in other trail systems. Although Ive encountered the "caught
between the cubs and mom" situation a couple times, I have been lucky to
hike the right way out of those.

Much more however I have ran into the bear on the trail or crossing just
ahead deal. Noise and the raise the hiking poles usually is enough to scare
them off. I was surprised by one a dusk one time, I think we both scared
each other, he was off in the opposite direction before you could say Boo.
I just went "AH!" real loud.

The hairiest event however was when one collasped part of my tent while it
was wallowing around it. I just laid there wondering how I hadnt yet soiled
my bag. This particular night I was tenting right outside a shelter with
others (and a good example why I really prefer to be off alone at turning
in time. The tenter beside me had like three have eaten candy bars and an
unwrapped BLT in his tent with him.

When I tried to instruct him in woodsense, he just told me he never had a
problem doing it his whole life (he was 17) going boy scout camping 4 times
a year while in Flordia.

                    Marion Davison
                    <mardav@charter.net>            To:     PCT List <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
                    Sent by:                        cc:
                    pct-l-admin@mailman.backc       Subject:     [pct-l] Re:  Embarrassing question
                    ountry.net

                    07/20/02 05:48 PM

Hmm, mountain lion.  On a snow camping trip on the PCT near Onyx summit,
we woke to find mountain lion tracks all around our tent.  So
maybe....Until very recently there were no bears in the San Jacinto
mts.  I was told by a ranger that the bears have used the PCT as a
corridor to cross over from the San Gorgonios and inhabit the San
Jacintos.  The recent (this century) bear population in the San
Gorgonios was imported from the Sierras--they were relocating those
troublesome park bears.
I too have suffered some sleepless nights, waiting for the bears to show
up.  I have tried reading, vitamin I, and tylenol.  Wished very much for
a glass of wine, but have never packed booze.  For me, a benadryl tablet
would probably work well.  I will try that next time.
Marion Davison  "llamalady"