[pct-l] re: Embarrassing question

Brian,

  I, too, have a horrible time sleeping when I backpack.  Even if I work my
booty off during the day, I can still lie down and not be able to sleep
until 2-5am. And I hate just lying there waiting for the sun to lighten the
land:(  I sometimes think it is best to just suffer one nite and work as
hard as you can the next the day w/o much sleep and then happy slumbers will
come from exhaustion-at least it did for me.  On a PCT section hike, I had
almost no sleep at all my first nite and then next nite I slept like a baby.
  I would recommend this if you're going to be out for an extended trip.
  However, if I'm on something like a 2 nite/3 day trip, I will take a
Unisom pill-pretty strong-around 7 or 8pm.  This usu. gets me to sleep
before 2am.  I don't wake up groggy because I've taken it so early in the
nite and it's out of my system by morning.
  I'm not sure why I have a tuff time falling asleep.  Maybe fear; I've had
an experience or two or three like you've had in which you hear something
outside walking around-extra scary when you're by yourself!!  It's also much
more uncomfortable than a bed-obviously.  And I hate the confining nature of
a sleeping bag.  They prob. all help in keeping me awake.  It's the ONE
thing, for me, that keeps backpacking from being next to perfect, but I
enjoy it so much that I just deal w/it w/ one of the ways above.

Best of luck,

Michael G.
section hiker

ps-It might also help you camp w/ someone else; it'll calm your nerves
knowing you have a friend w/ you so you can both be eaten by that large
bear:))))

  I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual. It is
surprising how contented one can be with nothing definite-only a sense of
existence...no run on my bank can drain it, for my wealth is not possession
but enjoyment.

             Henry David Thoreau