[pct-l] All time

I read a book, about the Chilkoot and I think it provides a useful caution for anyone traveling without too many brains or gear in snowy conditions.  On Palm Sunday 1898? or 1899?, a big avalanche came down the pass after a late, very wet spring storm.  This avalanche killed about 70 people.  However, there is always a bright side to any tragedy.  Two prospectors had bought an ox and were using it to haul supplies partially up the pass.  When the avalanche hit the poor beast "named Marc Hanna!" was buried.  Everyone presumed he had perished however "when he was found two days after the slide, Marc had tramped himself a small cave in the snow and stood calmly chewing his cud until rescuers freed him.  He went back to work, hauling bodies down to Dyea." (quote taken from Chilkoot Pass by A. Satterfield).  I guess the primary lesson from this story is always take an ox in avalanche prone conditions, it could save your life.