[pct-l] Mt. Baldy backpacking trip, June 15th & 16th

I'm planning an overnighter to Mt. Baldy (or San Antonio) for June 15th
and 16th. We will meet at The Lytle Creek Ranger Station, (about 9 miles
from Interstate 15 on Sierra Ave.) at about 7:45 am on Saturday the 15th.
The trail head is a few miles east of there, we will be going up the
Middle Fork of Lytle Creek, through the Cucamonga Wilderness up to
Icehouse Saddle, a very beautiful area! The plan is to camp somewhere
between Telegraph Peak and Baldy Notch. It is "leave no trace" wilderness
camping, pack it in - pack it out. This part is a 5 mile long ridge
trail, that connects "The 3 T's" (Thunder Mtn. - 8587', Telegraph Peak -
8985' and Timber Mtn. - 8303' ) so there should be some great views. We
will then continue via the Devil's Backbone to the summit of Baldy on
Sunday and return by the same route. It's hike numbers 91, 95 and 99 in
Trails of the Angeles by Robinson. This is a serious hike, total distance
will be about 28 miles (and around 8,000' of elevation gain) if we make
it all the way to the summit and back. Excellant training for anyone
doing Mt. Whitney this summer!

When we did this in December, we camped on Telegraph Peak, surrounded by
ice. It was a cold night (about 25 degrees if I remember right) and the
wind blew hard all night. We got up in the morning and turned around and
went back down. We had our packs outside hanging on trees and I was
afraid that they would blow off and slide down the mountain (They
didn't)! It should be much nicer in June.

Please email or call with any questions and to confirm. No charge for the
trip, bring your own food, I will get the permit.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---