[pct-l] Ira Bell hot springs / Fish Creek alternate route

We have made the trip to Iva Bell by every possible route over the years, and no
matter which way you go it is supremely worthwhile.  We have done every route
successfully with llamas, so we never encountered anything that would stop a
backpacker.   Last year we got to Iva Bell from Vermillion by hiking the Onion
Springs OHV route, then up the steep trail to Arch Rock (another fabulous place
not to be missed), then through the Margaret Lakes Basin, and down a
rock-hopping ducked route past Rainbow Lake that dropped down to Cascade
Valley.  At times we had to follow old tree cuts, ducks and random blazes.  The
last couple miles were on narrow, eroded sidehill on a very steep slope.  The
last mile before the valley bottom was bushwhacking through thick chaparral,
where we found the entire scattered skeleton of a horse.  Then up the Cascade
Valley trail to spend a couple nights at the hot spring. Yes, the Cascade Valley
trail and the trail north to Red's Meadow are heavily used by the pack station
and are deep decomposed granite, but the trail also goes through some
geologically fascinating terrain with spectacular views.    The burn happened a
good long time ago and it is interesting to see the vegetation recovering.
Wildflowers are excellent in the area.  Also you get to walk right past splendid
Rainbow Falls.  All in all our last three nights from VVR to Red's were a great
and unforgettable adventure.
Marion Davison