[pct-l] mailing gas - from the USPS website

At 02:20 PM 5/20/02, Steve Courtway wrote:
>342.22 Mailable Gases

Actually this would only apply to cartridge fuel stoves

Reference http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52_print.htm

It turns out that mailing everclear to yourself is illegal
=====
422.11 Intoxicating Liquors
Intoxicating liquors having 0.5 percent or more alcoholic content are nonmailable. This includes taxable liquors with 3.2 percent or less alcohol, as well as those obtained under a prescription or as a collector's item. The prohibition of the mailing of intoxicating liquors is contained in federal law (18 U.S.C. 1716).
=====

We also need to know about alcohol gasoline and kerosine stoves.
Gasoline (white gas) is out
=====
343.22 b. Gasoline (UN1203) is a flammable liquid that normally has a flashpoint of -50 degrees F. Gasoline is nonmailable under any circumstances.
=====

Kerosene and diesel fuel are essentially the same (as is JetA fuel) so this applies to Kerosene
=====
e. Diesel Fuel (NA1993) is a combustible liquid that normally has a flashpoint between 110 degrees F (43 degrees C) and 190 degrees F (88 degrees C). It is acceptable for mailing provided the fluid can qualify as an ORM-D material and the liquid is sent within the conditions in 343.22. Mailpieces must be prepared following Packaging Instruction 3B in Appendix C
=====

Denatured Alcohol  - This is ethyl alcohol with just enough 'denaturant' to make you violently ill if you try to make a cocktail out of it. Denaturants vary, but the most common one is a few percent methyl alcohol (methanol). Flashpoint 10-13 C
=====
Acceptable (with restrictions) for domestic mail via surface transportation only. Follow requirements for Packaging Instruction 3A in Appendix C, as applicable.
=====

Try as I might, I was unable to find "Appendix C"

--
Brick Robbins                       mailto:brick@fastpack.com