[pct-l] trail towns

> The PCT is generally favored as a boon to many of these small, remote
> town-resorts.

I thought that Idyllwild was a pretty ideal trail town last week.
It has no other economic activity than tourism, and the local business
people realize that any hikers coming down five miles down a steep trail and
road are there to spend some money!   It's easy to get a ride up and down
from town to the Devils Slide trailhead during normal daylight hours.
Aside from the locals, there are lots of hikers and climbers coming and going -
I got a ride from Paradise Junction Cafe to Idyllwild in less than 15 minutes,
using the Tyvek groundcloth as sectional hitching sign technique I learned
(where else) at ADZ from another hiker:

http://pcnst.oakapple.net/photo/other-pct/pcta/2002-04-27/p4270022.jpg

In contrast, a place like Agua Dulce doesn't really need the PCT even though
it goes right through "town" and its friendly reputation relies on the
efforts of private individuals like the Saufleys.   But don't miss the
Mexican restaurant.

Anyway, if you are starting late, Idyllwild needs your business NOW because
it is in the midst of an extreme drought crisis

http://www.idyl.com/

and I'd hate to be around there in September or October this year.
Being on the front line of the struggle between ocean water and desert fire,
http://pcnst.oakapple.net/photo/sc-pct/b/2002-04-30-b10/p4300301.jpg
the whole Mt San Jacinto region is naturally
adapted to growing fuel one year and burning it up the next.

The Paradise Cafe a mile west of the trail on Hwy 74 and the Wheel Inn in
Cabazon are worth a visit too!