[pct-l] necessities

I'm detecting a bit of elitism from the ultralighters.  Two Jardine
quotes says it better than I can:

"The equipment is only means to the end; and there are many means to the
same end. A hiker planning to tackle the Pacific Crest Trail, for
example, should not worry whether he or she has the right gear. I
have seen all sorts of equipment travel the full length of that trail.
The important thing is simply to go."

"I did not, nor would I ever say that any hiker or backpacker is doing it
wrong.  Anyone who enjoys the wilderness on foot, regardless of what kind
of gear he or she carries, is doing it right.  My philosophy of
wilderness enjoyment is based on the premise that the equipment is a
means to enjoy the end.  For me, less equipment brings greater enjoyment.
 But for someone else the opposite might be true - and if so, then they
are still doing it right."

Huzzah!  Some like camping more than others, and some like being prepared
for worst case scenarios.  It's all about choices.  Frankly, I don't care
if another hiker is carrying 7 pounds or 70 pounds.  If they're beating
boots (or running shoes) to try to make it to Canada, they all have my
admiration.

Two weeks 'til Campo!
EZ