[pct-l] trail safety

Here's my take on solo woman PCT hiking from a male (chauvenist pig,
possibly!) perspective;

Over the past ten years I have seen several solo female hikers attempt the
PCT and have heard of no significant solo-female-related incidences.  I admit
that this has not been an issue that I have specifically looked for or asked
about.  Such incidences may not have been reported or discussed in general
for obvious reasons.

I see the potential danger sources to a solo female hiker as follows;

Source                   -                 Danger Potential
Other PCT hikers    -                     Very Low (this is a great class of
people!)
Weekend hikers      -                       Low (this is generally a good
class of people)
Illegal Aliens in Sth Cal. -                 Low (they don't care about you)
Bears                     -                       Low (")
Mountain Lion         -                       With your pack on = low,
Without = moderate
Snake, insect, bug bite -                  Low
Sickness (from water or other) -        Low
Physical Accident   -                       High (5 million steps by yourself
without a fall?)
Redneck in backwater town -            Moderate (they might care about you)
Mental Burn-out / Loneliness      -     High

So, keep your pack on, avoid rednecks and find someone that you can talk to
and relate with, i.e., another PCT hiker.   You can find one of these most
easily by timing the start of your hike with the Annual Day Zero PCT Kick Off
gathering (ADZPCTKO), wherein 5 or 6 dozen of your fellow hikers will be
getting the butterflies out, corroborating with recent thru-hikers and trail
angels and offer the potential for identify a capatable person or group.  70+
of this year's class will be attending the 4th ADZPCTKO just four weeks from
now.  Come on down to this year's and see what all the talk is about, check
out the most recent strategies that this year's hikers will be using and have
a burger and beer.

IMHO, hiking alone, whether female or male or in between, is not a good idea
on the PCT due to the remote nature of the trail should an accident happen
and to the mental drain that loneliness can take in the face of many physical
challenges.

Best regards,

Strider

multipart/alternative