[pct-l] altimeters -- battery probs. with the Pathfinder?

> Message: 2
> Subject: RE: [pct-l] altimeters and topo software
> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:16:21 +0100
> From: "Svein Eriksen" <svein.eriksen@creuna.no>
> To: "payslee" <payslee@yahoo.com>,
> <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>
> I've had experience with Casio, the Pathfinder. And
> it's horrible. Mine's from 96, so they might have
> omproved things.
> * Battery lasts at most 9 months, even when not
> using the altimeter much). Supposed to last 18.
> * Have to send in the watch to Casio to change
> batteries. Some stores might handle it. But I
> haven't found one. Pretty inconvenient on the trail.
> * Mine has been replaced once. Broke down
> completely.
>
> Except for that - it works. Were fairly happy with
> mine the first 9-10 months before I started getting
> problems. Menues are pretty good.
> BUT - Suunto has looked at Casio, then basically
> improved on everything (except the menues). So, get
> a Suunto. Not perfect either, but much better!
>
> Svein

Sorry to hear about the problems you had with your
Pathfinder.  Has anyone else had trouble with the
battery running down too quickly?  I've owned the
Pathfinder since Christmas '99 and haven't had to
change the batteries once.  Although I must confess, I
haven't made too heavy use of its functions.  I rarely
turn on the light (which drains the battery like a
short!), and on the trail really use it only for an
occasional reading of the altitude.  I won't say I
don't know how I ever got along without it, but it has
made route-finding easier several times.  Off trail I
check the barometer once or twice a day to forecast
the weather--the computer passively records readings
from the past 24+ hours and displays them on a graph.
If the watch only included a thermometer I could start
my own local weather service...