[pct-l] altimeters and topo software

Hi all,

I'm looking to spend my REI dividend while their sale is still on, and
have narrowed my choices to a watch/altimeter (I need a watch, and want
an altimeter) or to some of the Topo mapping software that lets you
update and customize your own maps to print.

I'm thinking of getting the Casio Alti-thermo Pathfinder II watch,
which has all kinds of fun gadgets and isn't as huge and ugly as most
of them. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with this kind? Or any
other recommendations for altimeters? I am looking for one that is not
GPS-based.

National Geographic seems to be the biggest game in town for map
software. Has anyone tried their stuff? How up to date are they? How
easy is it to add your own notations, like unmarked trails? Any other
specialized vendors out there? My Dad is doing the Appalachian Trail
this year and found software by Maptech that has the AT guidebook
content included and specially marked on the maps you can print. I
can't seem to find anything like that for the PCT.

Thanks,
Susan