[pct-l] RE: Maps

John said:

>Also, since I didn't want to be carrying too much excess water, I used the
PCT
Data Book to keep track of water sources. It was also helpful to track daily
mileage.<

I'm glad somebody finally mentioned water.  Distances between reliable (or
at least seasonal) water supplies are, ahem, nice to know, particularly
BEFORE you skip off on a 27-mile waterless section without sufficient water
on your back, not to mention in your gut.  And southern California's not the
only stretch with limited water - the Hat Creek Rim in northern Calif is
another, where temperatures are at least as scorching as the Mojave, perhaps
more so by the time thru-hikers get there.

More of my $.02 -

Christine