[pct-l] Re: ankle rash and nylon pants

I am a 45 year old female section hiker with big ankles that tend to
retain water.  The rash probably is related to problems with poor
circulation in the lower extremities that are exacerbated by heat,
gravity, and strenuous exercise.  When I wore traditional boots and
thick wool socks with long pants and gaiters I got a deep cherry red
rash under my socks about six inches wide, hot and throbbing.  First I
got rid of the tall boots, and went with running shoes.  Then I
eliminated the tall wool outer socks, and wore a thin polypro ankle high
sock and a thicker Thorlo cool-max mini-crew outer sock.  Finally I
dispensed with the inner sock, and cut the tubular elastic at the top of
the Thorlo outer sock in four places, on the front, back and on the
sides.  This relieved that band of pressure around the ankle and the
rash was finally banished.  The socks don't last quite as long, but I am
happy to be rash free. It was hard to bring myself to cut brand new
expensive socks, but it did the trick.
I quit wearing the gaiters too because I couldn't tolerate the elastic
around the ankle; it enhanced the rash too.  My bony legged husband
still hikes happily in long pants, tall socks and gaiters.  His socks
are far cleaner than mine, thanks to the gaiters.  I wash socks every
day.  Thorlos dry very fast.
I hike in Sportif nylon pants.  The zip off legs are nice when you want
to take a swim.  I carry two pair of long pants and rinse one pair out
each day. They dry in less than an hour.  I wear long pants all the time
to keep off mosquitoes, poison oak and thorn scratches.  The nylon pants
are cool enough for California summer heat, especially in lighter
colors.  Sierra Trading Post is a good place to get nylon pants at a
discount.
I wear voluminous silk shirts I buy at thrift stores.  Again, the long
sleeves keep off the bugs and dirt and thorns, but silk is light and
cool enough to wear in hot weather.  It picks up every breeze, and dries
very quickly.  It isn't the least bit durable though.  If using them on
a through hike, put one in every resupply box and throw them out when
the pack straps eat through them.  Seriously, it is not at all difficult
to find silk shirts for a dollar at thrift stores.  I have a couple
dozen. Solid color shirts are more durable than prints.  The process of
printing silk apparently weakens the fabric.  We have seen print shirts
that wore through certain colors very fast while other colors were
unaffected.
Marion Davison