Melons in the Mountains WAS Re: [pct-l] Hello PCT-L

--- CharlieJones@aol.com wrote:
> > cantaloupes to the tops of 14,000' Sierra peaks.
> >

> I was resting on top of San Gorgonio (elev. 11,502
> feet) one day when a Scout
> troop arrived. The Scoutmaster yelled, "OK, who's
> got the watermelon?" Sure
> enough, one of the scouts opened his pack and
> produced one.

In August 1998, ended my AT thru-hike by humping a
watermelon up Katahdin. Not only was the juicy melon
great after a climb with 4000'+  elevation gain, but
handing out slices of watermelon to day hikers was
quite interesting.  Bearded, skinny, scraggly looking
guys generally do not hand out slices of fruit on a
mountain top.   My fifteen minutes of fame, as the
summit photo made the ATN (ATC's magazine).

This past Fourth of July, hiked the Fourth of July
trail up to Arapahoe Pass(along with about half of
Boulder, CO it seems). Naturally, had to pack in a
watermelon. What is the 4th of July without a
watermelon? :-)  I think the woman I was dating at the
time was scared off..we only went out a little while
after that...

Wonder what it would take to carry a watermelon from
Stehekin to Manning Park? ;-)

Mags

2 mos 12 days

=====