[pct-l] RE: Kinda Sick

RJ-

What happened to me was not dangerous at sea level where I could get to a
doctor within a day. At altitude or where I was 2 days from a doctor it was
life threatening. The lesson it taught me was that as I get older the risk
of being in a physically stressful situation and/or away from medical help
constitutes greater penalties.

The problem I had was that I lost enough blood from my colin to drop my
hemoglobin from 15 to 8. I was close to a transfusion and probably would
have been hospitalized if there had been a convient bed, but not in any real
danger. However, at 9000 feet the available oxygen is much less and I would
have likely lapsed into a coma. Even if I had not, the solution for this
bleeding is to take an enema and lie down and rest, not walk 20-30 miles to
the nearest trailhead. So said the Doctor anyhow.

Laying in the bed I visualized the problem my wife would have faced
somewhere in the Sierra if this condition occured/reoccured even if she knew
exactly what to do. Would she leave me and go to get help knowing that I
might slip into a coma or would she stay with me and trust that someone
would come along who could/would contact a ranger for help? [My solution:
Hire someone to tape her giving me an enema in the wilderness and send it to
"America's Funniest Video's". Then use the proceeds to have one huge bash in
rememberance of Tom]

The prognosis is that I don't have cancer, I have pockets in my colin as a
result of trying to poop too hard. I can't really hike until my hemoglobin
returnes to 12/13. And THIS CAN HAPPEN AGAIN. My solution is a satelitte
phone at all times. [Used they are down to $395
[http://www.phonetraders.com/used.htm#used_iridium] for the one I carried
last year]

Tom