[pct-l] 4th ADZPCTKO

Here's the latest on the 4th ADZPCTKO:

An informational and organizational meeting will be held at the PCTA meeting
on this coming Saturday in Ontario, CA between 12:00 and 1:00.

At that meeting I will be seeking help for the coordination of:
Transportation
     - from San Diego to Campo / border / Lake Morena / points north on the
PCT back to Lake Morena / Hauser Canyon, etc.

Food
     - Purchase
     - Preparation
     - Clean-up

Water
     - Local Stashing
     - Other stashing site reviews
     - Sierra snow discussion

Gear Contest
     - Prize Selections - Solicitations
     - Judge Selections
     - Contest Host
     - Prize Presentations

Lake Morena Campground sites 62 and 63 have been reserved for Thursday night,
April 25th for any early arrivals, including me by current plans.

Sites 59 through 63, 66 through 69 and 72 are reserved for Friday and
Saturday nights.  These sites are on the northeast portion of the campground
and immediately adjacent to the backpacker's sites; 64 and 65 (for walk ins
only) and the PCT, of course.

These sites are reserved specifically for the ADZPCTKO and for all
participants, organizers, hikers and supporters, whether known to be
attending or not (that means you, lurkers!).  When you reach the campground
by car tell the rangers at the campground gate that you are with the "PCT
Group" or "ADZPCT Group" or just give my name: Greg Hummel.  Then follow the
road around to these sites and find a parking space in one of them.  The
rangers have allowed us to have up to four cars parked per site, however, two
is the norm, so try to fill up the sites that don't have two per first before
do you remember?) is reserved specifically for Bob Reiss's RV which acts as
food central.  You can park behind him and next to him but don't take the
spot if he isn't there yet.

If you desire (for some unknown reason, these ten sites should handle almost
everyone) to reserve additional sites and wish to be near the above sites, I
suggest sites 73, 77 and 79.  Call San Diego County for reservations at:
(858) 565-3600.

What can you do to help?  We, the organizers of the past ADZPCTKO's and this
years, seek to help preserve the PCT and support those that aspire to explore
its path.  Some of us have thru-hiked, some section hiked, some seek to thru
or section hike in the future, however, all seek to give back some of the
magic that they have received from others while on, or associated with, the
PCT.

If you feel the same desire to give something back, please consider to:
- Volunteer to help with: transportation, food, water stashing, etc.
- Contribute resources: food, water, drinks, prizes for the gear contest,
etc.
- Help to cover expenses: for yourself, for yourself and unspecified 2002
hikers and/or for the operation of the ADZ.  How much?  Last year's costs
worked out to about $15 per person.  However, at least half of the attendees
last year were current year hikers and therefore, forbidden to contribute.
You do the math.

If you wish to contribute funds to help with this year's ADZPCTKO please send
them to:

Greg Hummel
23239 Ironhorse Canyon Rd.
Diamond Bar, CA 91765

Please indicate that they are for the ADZ.  No funds are sought from nor will
be accepted from 2002 hikers.  This event is for you.

Last year it was suggested that any extra funds generated be donated to the
PCTA.  It turned out that after all expenses (and turning down a considerable
number of offers at the ADZ to contribute) we turned out just about even.

THAT MEANS WE PAID FOR THE ENTIRE ADZPCTKO OUT OF NUMEROUS CONTRIBUTIONS AND
TURNED DOWN OTHERS!  We did it!  This will ensure the long term existence of
the ADZ.  I will be suggesting that any extra this year be given to the PCTA
(and wont be turning down so many offers at the ADZ, therefor).

If you have an interesting or semi-valuable item that would make a good prize
for the Gear Contest please consider making a contribution.

Suggested strategies for 2002 hikers to enjoy the services and events of the
ADZPCTKO:

- Coordinate ASAP with those offering transportation from points to the
border or Lake Morena.
- Start, at the border, on Thursday, April 25th and take two or three days to
hike to Lake Morena, or;
- Get to Lake Morena Thursday night or very early Friday morning and slack
pack from the border back to Lake Morena in one or two days (transportation
from Lake Morena to the border will be provided on Friday, Saturday and
Sunday mornings), or;
- Get to Lake Morena Friday night and, on Saturday, slack pack from the
border back to Lake Morena in time for the ADZ events.  These will start
around 4:30 or so on Saturday (so you better be in shape to hike the ~20
miles from the border to Lake Morena in about 10 hours or less), or;
- Get to Lake Morena on Friday or Saturday, enjoy the events, and start at
the border on Sunday morning, April 28th.

See you there and maybe in Ontario on Saturday.  Additional information will
be posted when available.

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel
Unofficial Coordinator 4th ADZCPTKO