[pct-l] Bivy Sacked

Used an OR Advanced Bivy a short while on my thruhike.
You certainly can survive in one, but I wasn't too
happy with mine. Worked fine (room for me and a few
things) in good weather, but it's difficult to get in
and out in bad.
Also, I had severe condensation problems. Heavy
morning dew was enough to create condensation in the
foot end of the bivy. Camping under a tree or
something that would prevent the dew to land on the
bag was enough to cure the problem, but that wont stop
rain.
Of course, when it rains the nights aren't usually
that cold and the condensation might end up being less
of a problem.
Overall, I wouldn't reccomend using a bivy without a
tarp, and with a tarp it's kind of an overkill. I'd
get a tarp and a much lighter bivy or a bag with water
resistant outer shell in stead. To be fair though,
I've met several people who seem to be happy with
their OR Advanced Bivys.

Svein