[pct-l] Re: Publicity

On 12/5/01 11:12 AM JoAnn wrote (in part):

>To all those who, in one way or another, 'accussed' Brain Robinson of =
>having set some sort of bad/wrong image about hiking, please read the SF =
>Chronicle lengthy article ...
>In the article the author compares Brain to Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods =
>and Bobby Bonds....and just how is this bad publicity??

It's terrible publicity!

Here's the guy who's at the top of the Thru-Hiking heap, but who hasn't
got paid a friggin' dime - for over a year's worth of work - and instead
of being photographed with eye-popping women, spends part of his time
writing very calm and helpfull replies to questions on a free internet
discussion list.

He's setting a rotten example.  What are ghetto kids going to think about
such low-brow behavior?  How can we encourage the American people out on
the trails unless our marquee guy starts looking a little better?  Come
on Brian, get with it dude!  Instead of, "...this Bay Area man went from
high-tech to high-trek", I want to see the SF Chronicle headlines read:

THRU-HIKER ARRRESTED ON DRUG CHARGES
"Huge quantity of Flintstones vitamins seized in dawn raid."

THRU-HIKER THROWN OUT OF STORE
"Ruckus breaks out when Robinson suggests backpack is too heavy."

THRU-HIKER WRECKS CAR
"Robinson's car, the same one he's been driving since high school,
finally falls apart.  Investigators seek to link Snickers Bars to cause."

Well, I don't know, maybe it's hopeless.   Maybe someone else should do
the 3Crown - barefoot or something - who is able to set a better example.

Buzz Burrell
Boulder, CO