[pct-l] Choosing a hiking dog

Marion,

My choice would be a Lab.  They are extremely sturdy dogs.  They curl up
into a compact package in the tent.  They are protective without being
aggressive.  Their coats are low maintenance.

I hiked a large section of the PCT in SoCal in 1982 with my Lab.  He was the
only dog that I know of that made it to Wrightwood without having to see the
vet.  Of coarse, I made sure he was in shape before starting the trip.  He
carried all his own food.

As many Labs were registered with the AKC last year as the next three most
popular breeds combined, so you should have no problem finding one at the
pound.  Look for an athletic one, not the sausage shaped ones that are so
common (Labs love to eat).

Hiking with a dog is a big responsibility.  You have to be sure that the dog
is safe and healthy.  You also have to make sure that the dog does not
degrade the wilderness or other hikers enjoyment of the wilderness.

I could go on and on about hiking with dogs, but I will spare the members of
the list.  If you would like to hear any of my suggestion contact me off
list.

Tom