[pct-l] a good read!

In a message dated 9/23/01 10:25:45 PM, calinda4@hotmail.com writes:

<< I was surprised, on my JMT hike this summer, by how many people I met who
had committed themselves to walk hundreds of miles and who didn't seem to
enjoy HIKING at all.  They were very "gung-ho" (what the heck kind of idiom
is that, anyway?) about their experience, but they cursed the uphills, they
cursed the downhills, they cursed the mosquitos when they stood still...

Well, now, it seems to me that people who go on long hikes to ACHIEVE and
COMPETE will NEVER be satisfied because the feelings of ego sating are indeed
fleeting and addicting, compelling a person to pursue more of the same. To
use a cliche, they can't see the forest for the trees. However, when one goes
on a long hike to simply experience places, people and feelings without real
goals in mind, the journey becomes and end to itself, a lesson. I have
learned never to hike with gung ho people. They're presence, while not
affecting me unless I LET them is none the less a distracting irritation to
the tranquility I seek