[pct-l] h2o filters???

Hi Monica,

We have used a PUR Hiker for years (since 1997) and liked it a lot.
However, we changed the cartridge this year and it started doing
weird stuff, like not pumping more than a drizzle a minute. It was so
hard to pump that the handle broke off during our PCT-hike. We
repaired it a little with tape, but it became the worst kind of chore
to pump water. We were stupid enough not to bring backup chemicals.

We went back to the REI in Seattle after we finished our hike and
complained. First they gave us a new second-hand handle they still
had somewhere in the back of the store. When that did not help, they
replaced the filter with no questions asked.

We have a MSR now. It will probably require more work to keep it
pumping, but it should never get so clogged that we cannot clean it.
Somehow, that became important to us. It is a little heavier than the
PUR.

If at all possible, by the way, avoid pumping water from those grey
glacier-fed rivers. There is often less sedimented water close by,
although not streaming as fast.

Have a good hike
Saskia