From: Jeffrey Olson [mailto:jjolson@uwyo.edu]
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 9:47 PM
Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Waist or hip belt???

Ever since I switched to internal frame packs and have got my packs - a
kelty
flight - base weight, sans food and water, down to 15 pounds or so,  I find
wear the "waist" belt just underneath my rib cage and easily an inch or two
above my hips.  For those who still use waist/hip belts, am I odd, or is
this a
norm?

I put on my old D-3 and no matter how much I try, even lightly loaded, the
thing
slips down and rests on my hips.  My 15 year old Kelty Super Tioga, XL, is a
torture rack.  I can't believe I was satisfied with it.  My 32 year old
Camptrails Expedition - I think it was called - a big sack on a frame ala
Colin
Fletcher's first edition of "The Complete Walker" while long gone, didn't
even
have a padded hip belt.  I remember the lacerations and angry rashes it
caused.

Is it the technology or the light weight that lets the pack let me dance
down
the trail, hips twisting to toe tap my way down the trail?

Jeffrey Olson
Laramie, WY, where we had our first 2" of snow Friday night.  The last
spring
snow was June 15.  We didn't even get a full three months of snowless
summer...