From: Montedodge@aol.com [mailto:Montedodge@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 7:37 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] The external frame comeback!

 If bear canisters are here to stay, I may really work on making a pack(
using my old Jansport D3 frame)  that will hold 2 canisters on top and have
light nyon bag on the bottom. Actually, I have seen some large diameter PVC
around ,but not sure if any homemade stuff passes park rules. You could make

two large canisters fairly cheap that could attach to pack frame and make
you
look alittle like Lloyd Bridges from ' Sea Hunt".  Externals have long been
champ of hauling big bulky stuff. This is not advice for the thru-hiker as a

pack of this type would weigh a bunch, but would be fine for week trips In "

Canister Only" land. An external that would hold two Garcia's , have a water

bladder space, and soft bag near the bottom for sleeping bags and clothing
may be a big seller in a few years in the regulations expand. Canisters
don't
mix well with internals and waste valuable space in their small bags. An
external could carry three such canisters, plus sleeping gear to form a
great
waterproof, bear proof pack. The external may " Be Back!!!!"