[pct-l] Mandatory bear canisters

In a message dated 9/8/2001 12:19:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
NeffJ@email.msn.com writes:

> Rumor has it that most if not all national parks are going to make bear
> canisters mandatory within the next three years.  Olympic NP is requiring

That's bad....

... and it's not going to correct the problem if people remain aloof and
lackadaisical.

Bear canisters are a cop out for someone that's not willing to accept that
they're in the wild or should I say, a spoiled bear environment.  I suppose
it's a lot easier for a ranger to check a hiker at the trailhead to see if
they carry a canister or not.

What about the others that practice proven techniques?  "Yes Mr. Ranger, I've
spent 200 nights in bear country and have never had my food stolen.  What
difference does it make what method I use, as long as I pay attention?"

"That will be a $500 fine for insubordination."

Raccoons in Olympic NP?  Does it take a canister to stop them?  I would think
the outlawed Ursasac's would do the trick for the foolhardy there.

I can only imagine the NPS has come to the conclusion, that there are more
idiots out there then they can control, and the bears and raccoons are the
least of their problems.

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html