[pct-l] Bears at Crater Lake

In a message dated 9/3/01 7:39:32 PM, prehistorictony@yahoo.com writes:

<< I
think they need to be better educated there.

PT >>

The bears or the camp managers!? The way authorities keep changing their
minds on how to deal with the bear "problem," maybe telling you to just keep
your food in your tent is the latest "solution." I wouldn't be a bit
surprised. So what did you do and HAVE you ever slept with your food if the
question isn't too indiscreet or personal? I'll be the first to confess. I
was unfaithful  to the authorities and slept with my food each and every
night on my thru hike in 99 so I could satiate my lustful cravings for a
midnight snack, bluffed a bear out of my camp in Yosemite by being very
aggressive, and how does that song go -- "never lost a minute of sleep
worrying about the way things might of been." Yeah I know I was just lucky,
but hey, I'm a lucky guy who "loves the smell of napalm in the morning" ( see
Apocalypse Now - the surfing in enemy water scene with Robert Duvall) There
must be dozens of people just waiting for the day my "luck" runs out so they
can all chant in unison, I TOLD YOU SO, STUPID ( shall I add you to the list,
Tom?)  Never got giardia either in 47 years of drinking unfiltered creek
water and I don't even own a water filter. At the risk of sounding flippant,
I just possess a real nasty immune system that loves to pick the cilia off
those nasty germs before dispatching them to their final, excruciatingly
slow, journey through the colon. I visualize my white blood cells as great
white sharks just looking and circling for giardia germs. If the nasties get
by them, they have to deal with the boys in the 'hood, my T cells who don't
like strangers messing around in their territory. They never even heard of
the live and let live philosophy. Germs get tortured to death and that is
that, no compassion whatsoever. I like to think that many a germ says UH OH
when they enter my body and decide to do themselves in rather than face my
immune system. And if you think visualization is a bunch of bunk, then it is.
Any comments, doctors? A disclaimer: Kids, don't try this at home. Don't
ever, ever drink city tap water without chlorine in it no matter what your
immune system is like because you will DIE if you do and I'll be chanting "I
told you so". God help you if the chlorine injection system fails. Stick with
the Evian.
  On a serious note,4 climbers fell into a crevasse on Mt. Baker, one I
crossed about a week ago. One of them died. I haven't heard the details yet
except that they slipped and slid several hundred feet. I'm betting they
prematurely took off their crampons when they thought the snow had softened
and then ran into unexpected ice, and slipped. Hard to believe that they
slipped with crampons on. We all wore crampons and I don't recall a single
slip by anyone in my party. I will find it very disconcerting to learn that
they all slipped into that crevasse while wearing crampons because it will
reinforce that saying by Teton mountaineer Paul Petzdolt that "no matter how
careful you are, sooner or later you'll throw snake eyes."
 Hopefully this post will stir things up a bit. It's getting kinda slow