[pct-l] Bears at Crater Lake

Just thought everyone would get a real kick out of
this, since there's been so much discussion about
storing food against bears lately.

As I was hiking through Crater Lake National Park the
week before last, I decided to stay at Mazama
Campground.  They have signs everywhere warning about
the danger of bears in the area coming after your
food.  They warn to keep your food locked in your car,
sealed in a rigid bear resistant canister, or properly
hung.  When I checked out my campsite, I noticed that
there were no bear lockers.  I asked the camp
administrators if there were any, or did I need to
hang my food.  Their response was, "just keep your
food in your tent with you."

The Mazama Campground is run by a concession, and not
by rangers.  This was a really funny exchange, but I
think they need to be better educated there.

PT
OR&WA 2001