[pct-l] Exploring the Highest Sierra

I just finished reading a fantastic book that should be of interest to any of
you that share my fascination and love for the High Sierra.  It is called
"Exploring the Highest Sierra" by James G. Moore.  Moore is a geologist with
the U.S. Geological Society that has spent a good portion of his life
studying the Kings Canyon - Sequoia National Park areas.

He has created a phenomenal account of the early exploration, history, mining
and geology of the area.  He traces the earliest explorers; Fremont, Carson,
Brewer, Whitney, Muir, etc., and explains the naming of many of the features
that we now take for granted without thought of the origins.  He traces the
development of more and more accurate maps of the region and gives a great
discussion of the old barometric and surveying tools used to make
surprisingly good early estimates of the altitude and location of the primary
peaks and features, including Whitney.

Mt. Whitney was mistakenly mis-located by one of the early map makers and
this erroneous location was perpetuated for some time until the false Mt.
Whitney (Mt. Langley) was climbed and it was realized that "that peak over
there looks a little bit higher than this one"!

Mining attempts and mineral exploration in the shadow of the California gold
rush is described and some of the early mines detailed.

He then undertakes an in-depth description of the geologic history of the
area in a discussion that should be mostly comprehendible and fascinating for
the geologic interested and is the best overall geologic history of the
Sierra that this retired geologist has found.

Road and trail geologic descriptions are provided.

Numerous maps, photos and detailed descriptions make this a great reference
that I will value as one of my favorite books, ever.  I urge you to enjoy
this with me.

I am in no way connected to the author, publisher, printer or distributors of
this book.

Sincerely,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

multipart/alternative