[pct-l] PCT Fire Season and Water Born Illness Season

 Washington and Oregon have their share of Fires going right now. It may put
a crunch on people who are late doing the trail.  Fires are again just aways
out of Leavenworth and Steverns Pass area.. Hikers past Ashland may be ok for
awhile but need to cross their fingers. Also Oregon seems to been the giardia
Capital of the PCT. I don't know if it's just bad water or the time of year
when hikers hit that State. Many friends and myself included have got  hit in
the southern to middle part of that State.       One BIG Question on
canisters??? If canisters are OK  and the bear bags are not, this makes quite
a monopoly for the few canister that are made. Maybe I could transfer my 401
funds into Canister Stocks as this is a " Can't Lose" deal!! If you did a
homemade container, what is code for should a device?? Does the NPS get any "
Kick-Backs"? Maybe it's like our Counties septic program, where the county
closes down you septic tank ,but allows you to build a new one with the
County commisioner's brother -in-law designed systems plans. If canister
making as no code , then I am in the wrong lively hood. I would love to sell
anyone a canister that has about as much plastic as my son's " Super Soaker"
squirt gun and 39 cents worth of hardware for 75.00!!!! I  wonder if any of
today's canister makers are related to mucky-mucks of the NPS and knew about
the Canister laws coming into effect??   Naw, I sure THAT could never
happen!! What would the NPS do if you sold your own Canisters out of the back
of your van for , say, 20 bucks a pop.  I would say this canister biss is a
great racket and if you can find enough bleeding hearts to support this law,
you can get rich. Of course , a one week " thinning season " would cut the
over population down and restore a bear's natural waryness. Man is not a some
trespasser here, we are the bestowed managers of this planet. We aren't very
good though! We over harvest, over drill, over fish and at times, over
protect! Now some folks are bending too far over the otherway. Want some
plastic and three thumb screws?? Send 75.00  to me at " Bear Scammers , Rip
Off City, Wash. 98512. PO Box 555.  But hey!! They make a great container for
steelies!!